When your refrigerator malfunctions the problem typically affects the whole unit. So when your Whirlpool refrigerator freezer is cold but refrigerator is warm, it can seem like a mystery. We’ll take the detective work out of troubleshooting the problem with common causes like an overstuffed refrigerator or failed defrost system.
Where to Start When Your Whirlpool Refrigerator Freezer is Cold but Refrigerator is Warm
If a Whirlpool refrigerator freezer is cold but refrigerator is warm there are often common part malfunctions that cause the problem. However, there are also some simple fixes you can do at home. We’ll discuss each possibility to help determine if a repair is necessary.
#1. Refrigerator is Overstuffed
If you’re wondering why my fridge isn’t cold but the freezer is your refrigerator may be overloaded. When a refrigerator is stuffed with too much food cold air can’t properly circulate between the compartments and individual items. Without proper air circulation, the refrigerator can’t maintain a cool interior.
Here’s how to improve air circulation in your refrigerator and prevent overstuffing:
- Dispose of old food containers and spoiled food
- Clean the refrigerator’s interior with a clean cloth and warm soapy water
- Rearrange shelves to allow for better airflow
- Keep refrigerator ¾ of the way full for best air circulation
#2. Whirlpool Condenser Coils are Dirty
Condenser coils cool refrigerant to maintain a cool temperature within the refrigerator. If the coils become covered with dust and debris, they may not be able to do so effectively. Consequently, your refrigerator won’t get cold but freezer will still maintain its temperature.
Cleaning the condenser coils can restore cool air to the refrigerator and should be done every 6-12 months. Refrigerator coil cleaning can be accomplished with these simple steps:
- Disconnect refrigerator from power source and locate condenser coils
- With a narrow hose vacuum attachment, vacuum dust, and debris from the coils and surrounding area
- Remove stubborn particles with an appliance brush
- Vacuum up any remaining debris
- Reconnect refrigerator to power source
#3. Evaporator Fan Motor is Defective
When you find your Whirlpool refrigerator not cooling but freezer works fine a defective evaporator fan motor is a common part malfunction. This motor powers the fan that blows cold air over the refrigerator coils. Without this fan refrigerant won’t cool enough to maintain the refrigerator’s temperature.
If the evaporator fan blades don’t turn easily or the fan motor is especially noisy, it’s likely defective. While multimeter testing can confirm this with a lack of continuity, a faulty fan motor requires professional replacement.
#4. Defrost System has Failed
If any part of the refrigerator’s defrost system fails, ice can start to accumulate on the evaporator coils, making the refrigerator work harder to keep cool. These defrost components are often responsible when a Whirlpool refrigerator freezer is cold but refrigerator is warm:
- Defrost control board: dictates how often to run the defrost function. If it malfunctions the defrost function won’t operate.
- Defrost Thermostat: monitors the evaporator coils’ temperature. If it fails it may provide incorrect temperature readings and the defrost cycle won’t turn on when needed.
- Defrost timer: works with the control board to turn the defrost function off and on throughout the day. If it’s malfunctioning, the refrigerator won’t defrost as necessary.
Let the Whirlpool refrigerator experts help when your Whirlpool refrigerator freezer is cold but refrigerator is warm. Call us to schedule an appointment!